87 / 100
- The best ways to stay healthy is selection of those best foods for immune system, which are good for immunity in our body.
- Healthy, antioxidant-rich foods such as vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and lean protein are vital for maintaining our immune system strong. It helps us preventing the illness and infection.
- There is no such food in the world, which is considered optimal for immune system. But still there are list of best foods for immune system. These are as follows-
- Berries have immune-boosting properties due to the presence of a special product known as “polyphenol”. This is an oxidant gives all the berries like blueberries, strawberries, cranberries and blackberries, their typical color.
- This compound fights against gut bacteria and protects the cell from injury. It reduces inflammation here. As a result it increases immune response in our body.
- It also play in the role in the prevention of illnesses and some inflammatory conditions like cancer. Berries are also the rich source of vitamin C.
- Strawberries full of one cup consists nearly 100 mg of Vitamin C. It is just equal to one cap of orange juice.
- A special dark variety known as blueberries are great source of special compounds known as bioflavonoids. These compounds increase immune system in our body.
- Eating mix kinds of berries is more healthy, nutritious and provide great immunity than taking one type of berry only. Best foods for immune system
- Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons and limes are very good source of vitamin C.
- Deficiency of vitamin C can weaken our immunity. A medium size orange gives 70 mg vitamin C. This is nearly sufficient daily requirement of vitamin C for men, which is 90 mg and for women it is 75 mg.
- Therefore taking more fruits, which are rich in vitamin C may promote better immunity system. Besides this citrus fruits, other sources of vitamin C are kiwi, green and red peppers, broccoli and sprouts.
3-Green and orange vegetables
- Vitamin A is very important nutrient for our immune system. It helps in protecting our skin and inner layers of nose, mouth, lungs and bladder. These layers act as barrier for viruses and bacteria. They destroy and trap these micro-organisms. Best foods for immune system
- Dark green vegetables, like peppers, carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes and spinach are good sources of beta- carotene. Our body converts this beta carotene into vitamin A.
- Meat, liver, milk and animal products are also the rich source of vitamin A, but they also contain cholesterol and saturated fat. So, plant source are relatively better for vitamin A, if anyone wants to avoid fat.
4-Nuts and seeds
- Zinc, vitamin E and plant based proteins are 3 basic nutrients, which keep immune system strong and healthy.
- Vitamin E is a natural antioxidant. It removes free radicals (they are dangerous to our body), so helps in improving immune system. It will further benefitted by addition of zinc and protein.
- For getting these nutrients we should take almonds, walnuts, peanut butter, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds in our diet.
- Apart from the powerhouse sources of minerals, vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids, they are also rich in vitamin E and zinc.
- As per research, health benefits have been seen after consumption of nuts. They lower the risk of chronic illnesses including heart disease. Best foods for immune system
- Role of omega-3 fatty acids has been seen in immunity. It helps the body from inflammation due to various infections.
- There are mainly three types of omega 3 fatty acids-docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Vegetable oils and some nuts are the main source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
- It can be get in the body with the help of foods only. Our body convert this ALA into EPA and DHA. But it is better to get through foods. Best foods for immune system
- There are many foods which are good for gut (stomach & intestine) health. They are helpful for boosting immunity.
- These foods are sources of prebiotics & probiotics. These products interact with gut bacteria to reduce inflammation and prevents pathogens from entering the gut.
- Prebiotics are the kinds of fibers. Our body is not able to digest it. It is the nutritive food for gut bacteria. Examples are insulin, a fiber additive, chicory, onions and Jerusalem artichokes.
- Probiotics are types of live microorganisms that can give health benefits. Some examples are fermented milk, miso, kimchi and yoghurt with live active cultures.
- There is a direct relationship between nutrition and immunity. It is well known fact that, keeping our body well nourished is the most important way to increase immunity. Best foods for immune system.
- Lack of vital nutrients weaken our immunity. Reason may be either dieting or any chronic illness. Malnutrition is associated with recurrent infection and inflammation.
- It leads to impaired immune system, since poor nutrition harmfully affects the health of gut bacteria. Proper deficiencies of nutrients specially vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc decrease immune function.
- Therefore, first step in improving our immune health is to take nutrient-rich foods. It also support an adequate muscle mass and a healthy body weight.
- Traditionally cloves of garlic have been used for health related reasons.
- Although most of the research of garlics’s antiviral and antibacterial propreties are done on concentrated extracts.
- But if we like garlic, we should include it in our diet plan. It may be used as an additional agent for boosting immunity. Best foods for immune system
- This yellow spice is one of the main ingredient of our kitchen. Many person use turmeric in cooking. It has also some role in alternative medicine due to its healing properties.
- There is a compound named “curcumin” present in turmeric. It is responsible for enhancing person’s immune system in the body.
- Mushroom has been seen very useful in flu, cold and other infections. They have anti- bacterial, anti-viral and anti-tumor properties.
- Researches and various studies also have established the importance of various mushrooms which increase immunity in the body. Examples are like fresh, dried and extracts mushrooms.
- They are important antioxidants, which increase immune system function. Beta-carotene is well known example in this category.
- Bright yellow, red, orange fruits and vegetables are the main sources of beta- carotene. Though beta carotene is also found in green fruits and vegetables.
- Most important thing is to take vegetables and fruits of different colour,since carotenoid work together to build the body’s immune system.
- There is good news for those, who loves chocolate. According to some studies and research cocoa and its extracts act as oxidants and have positive effects on immune system.
- If we keep fat and sugar to a minimum level, these unsweetened cocoa products may work as good immune busters.
- Cocoa and even dark chocolate have been found useful in heart related problems. Similarly they help in raising good cholesterol and subsequently reverse blood vessel damage in patients with diabetes.
- Theobromine an antioxidant is found in dark chocolate. It protects the body cells from free radicals and boost the immunity system.
- Free radicals are produced by the body, when it comes in contact with pollutants, or breaks down the food. These free radicals are very dangerous to body cells, consequently leads to diseases.
- Though dark chocolate has some benefits, but still it shoud be used in moderate quantity due to to its high calories and saturated fat. Best foods for immune system
- Live bacteria in yogurt, for instance lactobacillus may be helpful in gastrointestinal illnesses.
- In addition, it is found very useful in immune related diseases such as infection and sometimes even cancer.
- Meanwhile these beneficial cultures in yogurt help prevent colds and other infections. They may also shorten the duration of infections. Best foods for immune system
- This delicious fruit is very high in vitamin A and C, as a result very important for our immune system.
- One medium size persimmon contains half of the recommended dose of vitamin A, that play a key role in the regulation of cells of immunity system.
- Other sources of vitamin A : Sweet potatoes, Pumpkins,butternut, spinach and squash.
- Other sources of vitamin C : Papaya, Strawberries, oranges, kiwi and cantaloupe.
14-Poultry and Lean Meats
- Poultry and lean meats, that are high in protein also contains zinc.
- Zinc is a mineral that, increase the production of white blood cells and T-cells. These cells in the body fight against infections.
- Beans, nuts, fortified cereals and oysters are the main sources of zinc. Best foods for immune systemm
- It is very important to take these best foods for immune system.
- The main function of the immune system is to protect the body from infection and illness. A strong immune system is responsible for keeping person healthy.
- Due to some reason like any chronic illness, if someone has weak immune system, then there are high chances for him/her to become sick. With the help of proper diet plan, we can protect our body.
- To sum up, the best way to build up our body defense system is taking these best foods for immune system.